University Press of Colorado is looking for a Compositor. We are a leading scholarly publisher of both academic and general-reader books and are hiring a compositor who will be responsible for typesetting approximately 50 books per year. They will work closely with the managing editor/assistant director and the production manager of the press, as well as the rest of our dedicated and creative staff.
University Press of Colorado is located in Louisville, Colorado, but we invite applicants from around the country. This position may be based in our office or performed remotely.
Responsibilities of the compositor will include (but are not limited to):
- typesetting books using InDesign
- working with the production manager to create and update interior templates
- creating ePUBs using Scribe’s tools (instruction/training will be provided)
- vetting and editing of digital art
- applying for CIP data
- participating in trustee and staff meetings
Skills we value in this position:
- understanding of higher education and scholarly publishing
- proficiency with InDesign and Photoshop
- attention to detail
- organization, efficiency, and creativity
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- commitment to the values of publishing scholarship and sharing knowledge
- sense of collaboration and the desire to be part of a team
- strong commitment to diversity, equity, respect, and inclusion
Additional beneficial qualities include:
- experience with editorial, design, and production processes
- experience with editing or proofreading
- experience with cover design
- experience with Adobe Design Suite and Microsoft Office Suite
The University Press of Colorado is actively committed to maintaining a culture of diversity, inclusion, equity, and respect. We seek applicants who, like the press, are interested in building upon and contributing to a larger community that values a culture of learning, appreciation, and diverse identities, lives, and experiences. Throughout these difficult past years, UPC has embraced flexibility above perfectionism, honored caretaking and individual needs, and consistently valued a work-life balance.
We will consider candidates without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, ability, age, or veteran status.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Pay Range: $35,000–$40,000, based on qualifications and experience
- Benefits include: health insurance, sick leave, PTO, 403(b) retirement plan
Closing date: October 15, 2021